Your bedroom is a place to relax and unwind. It should also have a nice theme that is an extension of your personal decorating style. Since the bedroom is a small confined space, little changes to your home decor can make a big difference. If your bedroom is in need of a makeover, let these tips inspire you to create a place where you look forward to spending your downtime. From wall art to occasional chairs, we’ll show you how to give your bedroom a fresh look without going all out.
- Invest in some long curtains in sheer, white, gray or black, depending on your color scheme. Frame the window by having them start near the top of the wall, then fall to the floor and extend to a width beyond the window frame. This will create a dramatic effect.
- Pile on the pillows. Bed pillows not only make your bed look more inviting, they’ll enhance the entire room. If you bed already has pillows, change them. Don’t be afraid to mix prints, colors and textures. Just don’t go overboard—the pillows should never take up more than one fourth of the bed.
- Shop occasional chairs and see if you can find one that will fit in the bedroom. A strategically placed chair will give the room a lot of character and give you a pretty place to sit and read. And if it inspires you to re-arrange your bedroom furniture, even better. Moving furniture around instantly creates the look of a new room without costing you a dime.
- The lighting in your bedroom should always be subdued. If yours is a bit bright for your comfort, add an elegant chandelier or frame your bed with sconces. Buy lighting fixtures that mirror something else in the room. For example, if you have a metal bed frame, use metal sconces. Invest in some good smelling candles for your bedroom as well. They will help you relax and cast the room in a soft glow.
- Changing your bedroom wall art will have a huge impact on the way it looks. Swap out your current art for a black and white photo collage or some peaceful prints. Or invest in some old antique mirrors. The rules of Feng Shui state that bedroom mirrors should never face your bed, but old mirrors look beautiful hanging behind the headboard. To double the lighting and make your bedroom appear larger, place two decorative mirrors behind your bedside lamps.
- Add some accessories or knick knacks that reflect your personality. Go antique shopping or browse flea markets for ideas. Whether you end up with a group of vases, an elegant wooden jewelry box or an antique trunk, incorporate it into your decor if you’re truly drawn to it.
- Add an area rug. Nothing will change the look of your bedroom faster than a new rug. Even if your bedroom is carpeted, an area rug will still look beautiful. If you don’t want to make the potentially expensive investment, get a new comforter, duvet cover or throw for the bed. It will have the same eye-catching effect but be a less dramatic change.
When decorating your bedroom, always remember to keep color, scale and convenience in mind. Stick to a theme that will be easy to enhance or change when the mood strikes you. After all, no one deserves to have a bedroom that they find boring.