Interior designers’ homes always seem to look effortlessly stylish. It’s as if they’ve all figured out the magic tricks to making every room look perfect. And while it’s true that designers have studied the craft styling more than the average person, they’re also just normal people with collections and clutter habits like the rest of us.
You don’t have to spend years studying and researching to make your home look professionally styled. Just use these five tricks from some top designers:
1. Pick your paint wisely. Choosing a crisp white or a neutral hue for the walls will lend an air of sophistication to the room. A bold accent wall evokes a modern vibe. Pick your paint based on the theme of the room.
2. Get creative with furniture. Top designers’ homes are filled with funky finds and eclectic pieces. They may forego a standard sofa entirely for a group of occasional chairs or use ottoman furniture instead of a coffee table.
3. Mix it up. Mix patterns and textures. Mix your old and inexpensive pieces with new splurges. Your rooms should tell your story.
4. Use mirrors to make small spaces look larger. This is a classic design trick for a reason—it works!
5. Before you buy new decor, use what you have. Go through closets and boxes, find old forgotten pieces and see if you can make them work. Trays, baskets and pottery can always be upcycled.